If you drive at all, then you have felt the extra financial tole when you stop at the gas pump. Recent events has caused oil prices to surge above $110 a barrel for the first time in a decade. These price increases are reflected in the prices we pay at the pump. See the nation gas price averages below:
NATIONAL AVERAGE GAS PRICES
While you can’t predict the price at the pump, there are some simple ways to get the most for your money when you fill-up. AAA has put together some interesting tips to help conserve your fuel. We have combined them with some other ideas to help you save some money.
Money-Saving Tips for Drivers
- Shop around for gas prices. (See GasBuddy information below)
- Consider paying in cash vs. credit card. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 30 cents per gallon on their first fill-up and 5 cents per gallon on each additional fill-up. Click here for more information. BP also has a fuel savings program for their members, as does COSTCO and you can also use Kroger Fuel Points if you are a Kroger Plus Member.
Fuel-Saving Tips for Drivers
- Maintain your vehicle to ensure optimal fuel economy. Find a trusted automotive facility at AAA.com/AutoRepair.
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Slow down. Fuel economy diminishes significantly at highway speeds above 50 mph.
- Drive conservatively and avoid aggressive driving. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy, as does abrupt stops.
Shopping around for different gas prices has never been easier, now there are apps like GasBuddy.
GasBuddy is simple to install. Other users help by reporting current gas prices in your area. Once the prices have been confirmed by enough users it is then reported on the app. It also gives you points you can trade in for money off of your gas as well as a fuel rewards program called the “GasBack” program. GasBack is similar to cash back rewards from credit cards but instead if you shop with their partners you get gas back.